When I became a vegan, curries instantly became a staple to my diet. They are easy to make, are packed with nutrients and protein, and the spices make your house smell wonderful. However, it did take me awhile to perfect the consistency and flavor to be exactly how I wanted it to be. So, today I am sharing with you one of my own favorite curries that I have perfected.
This chickpea curry is obviously based around chickpeas. I love chickpeas so much and the addition of them to this dish offers protein and a hearty base. In addition to the great taste, chickpeas also offer many health and nutritional benefits!
So let’s get to it, and I will show you how I made this delicious curry!
First, you will need to gather your ingredients. This curry uses tomatoes, chickpeas, a white onion, coconut oil (or another oil), a lime, coconut milk, garlic, sambal oelek (or other chili paste), flour, and a mixture of spices (see recipe below for detailed list of ingredients).
To make this curry, you will only need one large pan.
First, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
Once the oil is hot, add in the onions and tomatoes, and cook until the onions are translucent in color and the tomatoes have released their juices (about 10 minutes).
Next add in the chickpeas, garlic, sambal oelek, and spices, and stir until well combined.
Then pour in the coconut milk and mix well.
Next, you will add in the flour, which will allow for the curry to thicken. Once the flour is mixed in, bring the curry to a boil, and then let it simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the curry is the desired consistency (the longer it simmers the thicker it will get). Once the curry has simmered, squeeze the lime over the curry. And don’t skip out in this important step! The lime juice brings out the flavors of the spices and gives a sweet undertone to the curry!
And voila! Your chickpea curry is done and ready to eat! Personally, I enjoy my curries with jasmine rice, but you could also switch it up and have this curry with some pita or naan bread or even enjoy it with some tortilla chips! Either way, it is sure to make your tastebuds happy! 🙂
Watch the how to recipe video and make this chickpea curry step by step with me!
- 2 TBSP coconut oil
- 2 small tomatoes roughly chopped
- 1 medium white onion roughly chopped
- 1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 TBSP sambal oelek (or other chili paste)
- 3 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 can coconut milk (use low fat for a healthier option)
- 2 TBSP flour
- 1 small lime
1. Heat coconut oil in large pan over medium-high heat.
2. Add the chopped onions and tomatoes. Cook until the onions are translucent in color and the tomatoes have released their juices (about 10 minutes)
3. Add the chickpeas, garlic, sambal oelek, and spices. Mix until well combined and fragrant.
4. Pour in the coconut milk. Mix until well combined.
5. Add the flour. Mix until well combined.
6. Bring the curry to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until curry is the desired thickness.
7. Squeeze lime juice into the curry to bring out the flavors of the spices.
8. Serve over jasmine rice, with pita or naan bread, with tortilla chips, or just by itself!